Thursday, August 11, 2005

The Debate over "We"

There's an interesting debate going on in the parenting blogs, started by Suzanne at Mother-in-Chief's August 9th entry about how we mothers are underemployed. Elizabeth at half-changed worldpicked up the debate, by worrying that this kind of language makes working mothers nervous, and lots of other bloggers have weighed in.

Part of my frustration about Truth Behind the Mommy Wars not getting enough attention is that its numbers and stories and insights haven't become part of our general knowledge about motherhood and work. So let me add some info to these debates.

First, in support of Suzannne's use of the word "we": 37 percent of mothers work part time. 25 percent are at home, and many, many of these mothers say they would like decent, fairly paid part time work in the professions in which they were trained. Many part time working moms are doing much less interesting work than they want. That's bad for them, and it's bad for our economy and for the productivity that the US needs. So say that out loud--37 percent of mothers in the US work part time--that's 2 percentage points less than fulltime working mothers. 37 percent.

Second, I"m tired of hearing people say, well, it's your choice to do less paid work, many of us can't even afford this. Okay. People: the numbers are clear. Most at home mothers are not affluent, despite the ongoing media attention to mothers in wealthy neighborhoods. Most at home and part time working mothers in our country are part of families that have LESS money. They are making choices about how to live their lives. And often these choices are economically counter-intuitive. They are living with less, and often at great sacrifice. Because our media fills us with stories about hyper moms in NY and DC and suburban Atlanta, and forgets the rest of the country's mothers, we forget this too.

And third, if the workplace doesn't offer part time work at fair wages and conditions, then none of us has a choice. If Suzanne is frustrated with free-lance work, it's in part because that field has come to rely on a huge stable--and I use that word accordingly--of mothers who write, and will write for very little money. She's resisting that, by writing quite honestly about how her time and money (as in money spent on baby sitting) were abused. Others can tell her to keep trying, and perhaps she will, but that doesn't change the structure of a journalism industry that pays writers very little, gives them no benefits, and often puts them through the wringer and doesn't respect their time and talent. Yes, there are exceptions, but that doesn't change the structure.

So read the book and get the numbers down, because we need to be able ro reframe these debates--all mothers are 'We" and all mothers have different needs, and these issues affect us all, and dads too.

21 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I really don't think this is a debate -- I agree with most of what Suzanne and you have said.

What I wrestle with is how do we talk about the ways in which the workplace culture is hostile to parenting, without causing employers to discriminate even more against mothers, by assuming that they'll just quit or that they won't be interested in assignments that require long hours or travel.

Best wishes.

Dream Builder said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a moms work at home
site. It pretty much covers moms work at home
related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

TS said...

Nice Blog!!!   I thought I'd tell you about a site that will let give you places where
you can make extra cash! I made over $800 last month. Not bad for not doing much. Just put in your
zip code and up will pop up a list of places that are available. I live in a small area and found quite
a few. MAKE MONEY NOW

Swingin80 said...

Cool blog you have. I have a work at home based business opportunity related site. Check it out if you get a chance. The URL is work at home based business opportunity

Anonymous said...

Holy crap, I came across a blog pretty similar to yours earlier today. I also have one that pretty much talks about home based business opportunity work at home related stuff. You should check it out sometime.

Anonymous said...

I discuss this topic daily myself. I also have a website that talks about work at home job opportunity related things. Go check it out if you get a chance.

sandyhay said...

I was just nosing around the net and found your blog. Looks good! Ihave a financial management software for small business site myself covering financial management software for small business . Visit sometime.

Anonymous said...

I have recently started reading blogs and came across your blog about free work from home jobs and wanted to let you know that it must take time and dedication keeping a blog going. I have a website about free work from home jobs and it keeps me really busy. Looking at all these blogs I think I may need to start my own blog one day. Keep up the good work. One day blogs may replace TV and newspapers for those of us who spend our time on the internet.

Work From Home Center said...

Hi thanks for your blog, I liked it! I also have a blog/site about home based business mlm opportunity seeker marketing
that covers home based business mlm opportunity seeker marketing
related stuff. Please feel free to visit.

Steve Westphal said...

Really nice blog, here is some more stuff about estate make money real

coastal vacations said...

Hello Miriam Peskowitz, just searching for information on homebased business and found your blog. Actually this post was not exactly what I was looking for, it caught my eye and got my attention. I understand now how I landed on your site when I typed in homebased business related information, and I'm glad I found your page. Great post.

Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you! The information and Internet marketing product evaluations that you provide are great for beginner webmasters.

I have a make money quick and easy site/blog. It pretty much covers make money quick and easy related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Anonymous said...

Has anyone read or heard anything about the ebook Desperate for Money? I have to admit that the title describes me pretty acurately! It sounds interesting and there are definitely some big names that contributed to the book.

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if anyone has read and tried any of the ideas in Desperate for money. It sounds promising but I would like a few opinions first.

Anonymous said...

Find serious money at workfromhomebiz,bet the surfing for cash site!

workfromfromhomebiz.net


Great site -

GOOGPLEXMAN said...

I really like your blog. Did you know that you can find all kinds of Making Money Online Free
online. It's the best place for finding Making Money Online Free
so tell everyone.

Anonymous said...

Hi, here is the greatest work at home business opportunity of the 21st century. Come and check the videos about work at home business opportunity and see why it is possible to make $4,000 a week ! Dave

Anonymous said...

Last month I made $12,124 with Google Adsense...Click
here for free on how you can do the same!

Anonymous said...

Hello, I just stumbled across your blog as I was doing a search on the phrase at home work, and I just wanted to say that I really like what you've done with your blog, even though it wasn't particularly related to what I searched for, and that I appreciate your postings. I've recently started a at home work website that you may be interested in visiting if you get a chance. Much success, Eric.

Hoodia said...

Help me Dude, I think I'm lost..... I was searching for Elvis and somehow ended up in your blog, but you know I'm sure I saw him in a car lot yesterday, which is really strange because the last time I saw him was in the supermarket. No honest really, he was right there in front of me, next to the steaks singing "Love me Tender". He said to me (his lip was only slightly curled) "Boy, you need to get yourself a San Diego cosmetic surgery doctor ,to fit into those blue suede shoes of yours. But Elvis said in the Ghetto nobody can afford a San Diego plastic surgery doctor. Dude I'm All Shook Up said Elvis. I think I'll have me another cheeseburger. Then I'm gonna go round and see Michael Jackson and we're gonna watch a waaaay cool make-over show featuring some Tijuana dentists on the TV in the back of my Hummer. And then he just walked out of the supermarket singing. . . "You give me love and consolation,
You give me strength to carry on " Strange day or what? :-)

Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a ebook editor site/blog. It pretty much covers ##KEYWORD## related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)